Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Flashback time! Hey guys Izzy here. I wanted to write about the of February 1 and 2. Sadly I forgot to let you guys know what fun we had so here I go! That Saturday we went to downtown Dublin to find the Dublin Archaeology Museum (at least I think that's what it's called). It was near the government buildings of Dublin and the museum building looked like an old government-type building. The best part of the museum is that it is free! I had fun walking around the museum and looking at all the artifacts. They had a lot of creepy bog bodies in one part. I'll admit they scared me a bit so I stuck really close to Sabrina. She thought I was just being silly but there you have it :)

My favorite part was definitely the Medieval artifacts. They were so fun to look at and I loved the detail they put into even simple projects. I really enjoyed the seals which were very intricate with the family's crest on them. Sabrina liked the section on historical Irish horsemanship and how the native Irish didn't use stirrups. Overall it was a beautiful building with lots of neat things to see.
After that I though we could go and relax but Sabrina had different ideas. She thought we should see the natural history museum just around the block as it was free also. I went along but really regret it now. The building was really old like the archaeology museum and the outside looked great. But once we got inside I realized how creepy it really is! Walls and cases stuffed into a long hall building completely packed with taxidermy animals. There were SO MANY! The taxidermy was really creepy and poorly done as most of it was done in the late 1800's and early 1900's. There were hardly any descriptions of the animals just their poorly mounted skins. I was so scared I nearly wet myself. So glad Sabrina isn't going to put me on exhibit there!

Sunday we decided to go someplace more fun, the zoo! We took the bus over to downtown and caught another headed for Phoenix Park where the zoo is. A fun note about the park, it was built originally as a hunting grounds for the wealthy citizens of Dublin, that's why they have a huge stone wall surrounding it. It is over double the size of central park and even has a herd of deer. It's super pretty. Sadly I don't have pictures but Sabrina promises to take me again when it's warmer. Anywho, back to the story...

As we were riding the second bus through downtown we ran headlong into trouble! Well...not exactly trouble but an inconvenience for sure! A group of citizens were having a walking protest against homelessness right down the road in front of the bus. They were blocking both lanes of traffic and moving like frozen molasses in a snow storm. I really was anxious to see the zoo and wish they would have moved to the side but they didn't. So our bus along with about 10 more city buses and a horde of cars had to follow the protest at their speed down the road. By the time we got away from them it had been almost an hour!

Eventually we got to the zoo. I was so happy when we arrived and couldn't wait to see some of my fellow animals. They have a really nice zoo in Dublin! First we got to see the tigers, snow leopard, and wolves. We moved throughout the zoo and had a great time of it. The animals were really active so I got to enjoy seeing them all. We even got to be right in front of the elephants as they ate dinner! Sabrina's favorite part was the flying fox fruit bats enclosure. We got to watch the bats eating their food, flying around, playing with each other, and resting. Sabrina says they were the most active flying foxes she'd ever seen. And as a special note for big sister Erin we got to see a family of red panda's up close! They were so cute that I even got a little jealous. At least I smell better :) Here's the pictures. Until next time! 

-Izzy






No comments:

Post a Comment